Hanukkah begins on December 16th and there are many menorah lightings happening on Long Island to mark the start of this joyous holiday. So why not join in the fun as people all over the island celebrate the upcoming Festival of Lights.
SUNDAY, December 14th
- ROCKVILLE CENTER: Family Hanukkah Party at the Central Synagaguge of Nassau County and Congregation Beth Emeth, located at 430 DeMott Ave, Rockville Centre, (12-2pm). Celebrate by making cookies, chocolates and story time. For kids in 2nd grade and younger. Cost is free.
- HUNTINGTON: Huntington Hanukkah Happening at the Huntington Jewish Center, located at 510 Park Ave, Huntington, (11am- 1pm). Come celebrate Hanukkah with latkes and crafts and activities for kids of all ages. Cost is free.
- KINGS PARK: Menorah Lighting at the Kings Park Library, located at 1 Church Street, Kings Park, (11am).
TUESDAY, December 16th
- LONG BEACH: Bach Menorah Lighting at Kennedy Plaza, (5pm). Members of the BACH Temple of Long Beach led by Rabbi Goodman along with public dignitaries will light the Menorah in Kennedy Plaza at 5:00 pm. There will be music, dancing and treats. The Menorah will be lit each night of Chanukah.
- HOLBROOK: Holbrook Chamber of Commerce Menorah Lighting, located at Friendly Drugs Parking Lot, 1036 Main Street, Holbrook (6pm). Head over to this Menorah Lighting and join in the festivities as they celebrate the start of the Jewish holiday with the lighting of their town menorah.
- ST. JAMES: Chamber of Commerce Menorah Lighting at the triangle at Route 25A and Lake Avenue. (5:30pm). Treats will be served.
- MT. SINAI: Heritage Center Menorah Lighting hosted by Temple Beth Emeth, located at Heritage Park, 633 Mt. Sinai Coram Road, Mt. Sinai, (4:30pm). After the lighting enjoy hot chocolate, donuts, and holiday songs inside the Center. Cost is free.
By: Tara Arichabala