Thanksgiving is a time of year when we often give thanks for what we have. Volunteering during the holidays is a great way to help teach our children to appreciate of what they have and to help others who may not be as fortunate; and who know, giving back to others might even become a new Thanksgiving tradition for you and your family!
Here are some ways Long Island families can help give back to those in need, be it for Thanksgiving OR during the upcoming holiday season:
- Long Island Cares Long Island Cares helps provide food for those in need on Long Island. The organization accepts donations of food, clothing, toys, and personal items – (631) 582-3663
- Island Harvest Island Harvest was established to end hunger on Long Island, while also reducing food waste. Island Harvest has a special Turkey and Trimmings Collection during the holiday seasoning – (516) 294-8528
- Long Island Council of Churches Food Pantry The Long Island Council of Churches (LICC) gives assistance to low-to-moderate income individuals throughout both Nassau and Suffolk Counties. LICC accepts donations of canned foods and fresh produce – (516) 565-0290
- Ronald McDonald House of Long Island The Ronald McDonald House of Long Island was established to offer families of sick children in local hospitals a place to stay. There are multiple ways to help this organization. Check their site to learn the different ways you can help.
- The Random Acts of Kindness Foundation The Random Acts of Kindness Foundation was set up to help encourage acts of kindness and providing resources. Check their website for some great ideas that might work for your family.
These are just some of the ways your family can help give back to others during this time of year. Make sure to check with each organization for more details on how you can help.
…From our families to yours, thank you for taking the time to help others!
By: Janet Brandsema
Photo Credit: Island Harvest & Flickr