We’ve found some fun, alternative workouts bound to shake things up a bit!
- Aerial Fitness & Hot Yoga Studio This is a fun workout which incorporates suspended athletic conditioning, aerial yoga, & Pilates exercise. If you’re looking for something a little different, this is the workout for you! (Located at: 38 West Main Street, Riverhead – phone #: 631-591-3474)
- Barre-tique Fitness Barre-Tique is a core-infused fitness class that uses a ballet barre. It includes dance, yoga, Pilates, and stretch to make an exciting and fun workout. The movements are designed to burn cellulite and give a long lean dancers body without the bult. Barre-tique uses isometric strength training and occasionally light balls, flex bands, and stability balls. (Located at Backstage Studio of Dance, 1029B Route 112, Port Jefferson – phone #: 516-356-7070)
- Island Rock- Rock climbing In addition to being fun, rock climbing has many health and fitness benefits. These include cardiovascular health, weight loss, and increased muscle tone. Island Rock offers personal trainers to help you get fitness results you are looking for. (Located at: 60 Skyline Drive, Plainview – phone #: 516-822-ROCK)
- Trampoline Fitness According to NASA, jumping on a trampoline “…is the most efficient, effective form of exercise yet devised by man!” SO check out places like: Air Trampoline Sport (Located at: 1850 Lakeland, Ave., Ronkonkoma – phone #: 631-619-600), or Bounce! (Located at: 310 Michael Dr, Syosset – phone #: 516-762-1300), or SkyZone (Located at: 111 Rodeo Dr, Brentwood – phone#: 631-392-2600
- The Adventure Park at Long Island With 8 separate trails of varying levels of difficulty everyone is sure to have a great time and great workout. There is something for all fitness levels. Each trail has zip lines but primarily consist of “bridges” between tree platforms made of rope, cable and wood configurations creating over 120 unique challenges. You will develop skills, endurance, and confidence on these trails. (Located at: 75 Colonial Springs Rd, Wheatley Heights- phone #: 631-983-3844)
- Hit the Beach! (Yes, even during the cold months) Take advantage of our beautiful Long Island beaches for a scenic yet beneficial workout. Whether running or walking the sandy shores will make your workout more effective. Set a steady pace, when you need a break do some lunges or squats then continue on.
by: Tara Arichabala
Photo Credit: Flickr