The relationship between a mother and her son is very special; and important to both mother and son. However, often life gets so busy that we don’t take the time to celebrate having such wonderful “little men” in our lives. It’s important to have some one-on-one time with children, as it makes them (and us!) feel respected, special, and all around loved!
So if you need some ideas for mom and son date nights, you’ve come to the right place! The Long Island Mamas has a variety of ideas for all types of dynamic mother-son duos.
- Get Moving: Get moving with your little man at Station Sports in Huntington Station, where you can have a pinball war, play mini golf, or hit at the batting cages together. At Bayville’s Adventure Park, you can play mini golf, go rock climbing, or tour their mystery funhouse!
- See a show: If your child is more into the arts, perhaps a trip to the theater is in order. Instead of going to the movies yet again, check out live theater and introduce him to musicals and plays. Landmark on Main Street in Port Washington has a nice selection of upcoming shows for children, including the Paper Bag Players and Curious George. The Tilles Center in Brookville will have holiday shows for children, such as the Junie B. Jones holiday show, the Nutcracker, and in the Spring, Sid the Science Kid and Dinosaur Train.
- Create together: Take your boy out and get your hands dirty! Try creating artwork together, which will always remind you both of the special time you shared. Pick out a memorable object to paint at Claytime in Huntington Village, Fun Craft in Jericho, Plaster Funcraft in Commack, or Fun Craft Parties in Great Neck.
- Explore a hike: If you have a little explorer on your hands, put on your hiking boots and go out exploring! Long Island has many gorgeous options for hikes, from short to long distance, which is perfect for boys of all ages. Head over to Sagamore Hill in Oyster Bay and take the half a mile walk down to the water, grab your bikes and bike the paved trail at Caumsett State Park in Huntington. Or, for a full day’s adventure, check out the many options of Long Island’s Greenbelt Trail.
- Visit a museum: If your son likes learning in a hands on way, visit some of Long Island’s fun museums and attractions for kids. Check out the Long Island Aquarium in Riverhead, and have fun on a Pirate Snorkel Adventure or kissing seals! If you have a little boy who loves trains, than the Railroad Museum in Greenport and Riverhead is the perfect stop for you! They often have special days to play with their huge selection of wooden trains. Or, maybe your little man loves trucks? Check out Cold Spring Harbor’s Firehouse Museum or The Nassau County Firefighters Museum in Garden City.
- Visit a Farm: Take your little guy to one of Long Island’s farms to see and feed animals! Watch his eyes light up as he feeds the goats, cows, pigs, and chickens. You can visit White Post Farms in Melville, Lewis Oliver Farm, a free farm in Northport, or the Long Island Game Farm in Manorville.
And NOT to worry moms of little girls, your mother/daughter date ideas will be posted later in the week… so be sure to check back! PLUS, if you’re the mom of a little boy (OR two, OR three, OR more!) be sure to share your mom/son pictures with us on our Facebook page at Long Island Mamas Network!
By: Olivia Howell
Photo credit: Flickr, Claytime, White Post Farms & Station Sports