The bond between a mother and daughter is truly unique, and one that needs to be nurtured. So with the start of the school year now underway, and everyone’s calendars filling up, why not take some time to pencil in a special mom/daughter date with your little girl.
…And just in case you’re at a loss for what to do with your little lady, you’ve come to the right place! We’ve compiled a list of things from around Long Island, guaranteed to leave a lasting impression on her heart, and yours.
- Spa Day: Treat you and your little lady to a special day of pampering! She will love wearing flip flops and getting her toes painted, just like mom. It’s never too early to demonstrate how important it is to take time out to treat yourself, so indulge in a day of being spoiled and getting your nails done, and facials. Seriously Spoiled Salon and Spa (Patchogue, Dix Hills, Middle Village) is the perfect place for a day of pampering, especially with a little girl in tow. They offer manicures, pedicures, and even chocolate facials for girls as young as 5!
- Paint together: If your daughter is 13 or older, a wonderful way to spend some time together is to get crafty! Why not take an art class together? Learning a new skill with your child is a great way for them to get to know you as a person, not just as mom. Paint the Town Studio in Huntington has night painting classes for ages 13 and older; just pick a painting you want to learn and sign up!
- Stretch It Out: A wonderful way to spend quality time with your daughter is to get moving! Instead of simply going for a run, check out a yoga class and try some new poses out. Absolute Yoga in Woodbury offers not only a YogiBaby class, for new moms and babies, but a family yoga time where children of all ages can try out yoga with their parents. There’s no better way to relieve the stress of work and school then attending a yoga class with your special little girl.
- Coffee Chat: Check out your local coffee or tea venue, grab a snack, and catch up with your daughter! She will feel very mature having a cup of coffee with mom, and you can take a moment out of your busy schedule and enjoy hearing all the thoughts in her head! Southdown Coffee in Huntington offers local fresh roasted coffee, hot chocolate, tea, and locally made delicious treats, such as brownies from Brownie Fix. Sip Tea Lounge also in Huntington has a huge assortment of tea leaves to chose from, as well as many healthy and delicious vegan treats. Stop in to Copenhagen Bakery in Northport for a drink and pick out some yummy indulgences from their many choices of cookies and pastries.
- Journey Back in Time: Head back to the good ol’ days, before cell phones and laptops! Take your daughter on a special trip to the olden times, and who knows, maybe she will learn a skill or two! Check out Old Bethpage Village Restoration to see how Long Islanders lived in the 19th century. Your little girl will stare in wonder at the old fashioned clothing, houses, and of course yummy treats. The Milleridge Inn, Cottage, and Shops in Jericho is a wonderful way to spend the afternoon and have a memorable lunch. And, don’t forget Stony Brook Village with its carriage museum, old school house and working grist mill!
- See Art: If your little lady loves history and art, why not check out one of Long Island’s art museums and spend the day discussing what she sees in all the paintings? Stroll through the Nassau County Museum of Art in Roselyn and ask her what her favorite piece is. Head on over to The Heckscher Museum of Art in Huntington, which has many activities geared towards children and even inspiring questions for kids posted throughout the museum.
AND WE WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU! If you’re the mom of a little girl (OR two, OR three, OR more!) be sure to share your mom/daughter pictures with us on our Facebook page at Long Island Mamas Network!
By: Olivia Howell
Photo credit: Pixabay,