At this point in August, many Long Islanders are looking for new ways to enjoy what’s left of their summer; yet they’re looking for an alternative to the water park or the beach. How about a visit to of Long Island’s many farms? It’s a chance to introduce (or remind) your children about where their food comes from and meet some furry friends along the way.
The farms listed below are family friendly with an array of specialties, and many even offer outdoor activities that extend into the fall months as well.
- Benner’s Farm, 56 Gnarled Hollow Road, East Setauket, (631)689-8172, Benner’s is a 15-acre family farm that offers a range of programs for all ages. Seasonal festivals are also offered.
- F&W Schmitt’s Farms, 26 Pinelawn Rd , Melville, (631)271-3276 / (631)271-FARM, Offering garden vegetables and hay rides, plus pumpkin picking and pony rides in the fall.
- Garden of Eve Farm, 4558 Sound Avenue, Riverhead, (631)722-8777, Garden of Even has outdoor animals, playgrounds, pet adoptions, seasonal fruit picking, and festivals.
- Goodale Farms, 250 Main Road, Riverhead, (631)901-5975, As you arrive at this farm, a tribe of goats greets you–loudly! Feed goats, cows, and and other animals. It’s free to roam the grounds. The farm also sells bottled goats and cows milk, as well as farm fresh cheese.
- Harbes Farms, 715 Sound Avenue, Mattituck, (631)298-0800, offering visitors a Barnyard Adventure, a vineyard, a steady string of festivals and events throughout the year, and both apple & pumpkin picking in the fall.
- Suffolk County Farm and Education Center, 350 Yaphank Ave., Yaphank, (631)852-4600, This non-profit agency offers unique educational programs for children pre-K through 12th grade. It is open year-round.
- Sweet Woodland Farm, 46 Old Squires Road, Hampton Bays, (631)594-1789, Mommy and Me programs are offered (and many other programs desgined for kids). Sweet Woodland Farm also has chickens, ducks, rabbits, cats, gerbils, and a host of other “guests.”
By: Rachel Minkowsky
Photo credit: Rachel Minkowsky, Benner’s Farm website, Harbes Farms website, and Garden of Even Farm website