Ready to take a family vacation? Why spend tons of money traveling far away? Instead, enjoy a vacation right in your backyard without having to set foot off of Long Island! We asked a couple of local travel agents for their suggestions on fun family vacations on Long Island.
Long Island travel agent Lisa Forbell highlights her top Long Island vacation picks for our readers.
- Montauk – Start the day at Deep Hollow Ranch for horseback rides. This is one of the oldest ranches around and is great for kids. Spend the rest of the vacation visiting the lighthouse, beaches, play some mini golf and attend the many activities on the village green. Dine at Navy Beach on Fort Pond Bay which offers a scenic view of the beach where the kids can play and listen to live music. For lodging, stay at Hartmans Briny Breese which is seasonal or Gurneys.
- Shelter Island – A quick ferry ride away, families will find themselves at the Pridwin Beach Hotel and Cottages which is seasonal. Here they will find children’s activities, family-style dining, beautiful beaches, mini golf and an ice cream shop.
- Greenport – Greenport offers beaches, a ferry to Shelter Island (kids love going on the ferry!), boating excursions and an amazing carousel. Spend the night at either the Greenporter or the Cliffside Resort condos.
- Port Jefferson – This quaint little town offers tons of little shops, family friendly dining options, a sprinkler park overlooking the water, a playground and much more. Beautiful accommodations can be made at the Danfords Hotel and Marina.
- A few day trip recommendations included Fire Island, Cupsogue Beach and the Allegria in Long Beach.
Long Island Mamas very own writer and travel agent, Mikaela Walker, has recommended her favorite Long Island vacation spots.
- Hamptons – The Hamptons features beaches and The Childrens Museum of the East End. There are often concerts and events for the kids.
- Riverhead – A child friendly accommodation is the Hyatt Place East End & Resort Marina which is located next to the Long Island Aquarium and Exhibition Center. Nearby there is also the Long Island Science Center. This hotel offers many packages for families and shuttles to the local museums. For parents looking for some adult time, head over to the lounge at Hotel Indigo. There are also many wineries in and near Riverhead, many which offer fun family events.
- Another fun family vacation would be to visit the Gold Coast mansions where families can tour the beautiful grounds and mansions including Oheka Castle and Old Westbury Gardens.
Travel Agent Contributors
631-828-2391 office, 631-708-7005 cell
By Tara Arichabala