Compile a list of all the sitters found using these resources. Schedule a time meet each sitter for yourself. If possible have your child(ren) there as well to see how they interact.
Care.com has compiled an extensive list of interview questions to ask each potential sitter.
- Name, phone, address, age, citizenship status
- Availability (e.g., after school, evenings, weekends, short notice)
- Rates (different cities have different rates. For example, the cost for a Chicago Babysitter may be different from the cost of a New York Babysitter. Visit Care.com’s Babysitting Pay Calculator to find out the rate in your area)
- References (request name and contact information for 2-3 references)
- Tell me about your experience with children (e.g. babysat siblings, has children)? What age ranges do you have experience with, and are you most comfortable with?
- What activities do you like doing with kids? Are you willing to go on short, nearby outings (e.g. park, library)?
- How do you comfort and discipline children? How have you handled crying children or temper tantrums in the past?
- What is your comfort level with cooking and preparing meals for kids?
- Are you comfortable with bathing children and bedtime routines?
- Have you had problems in the past following directives like discipline, development, and daily routines?
- What have been the most challenging and rewarding parts about being a babysitter?
- What was your scariest or most difficult babysitting moment? How did you handle the situation?
- Have you ever had to handle a child emergency? What did you do and what was the outcome? Do you have infant and child CPR certification? Would you be willing to receive such training?
- What do you enjoy doing in your free time?
- For teenage sitters: How are your grades? What do you enjoy doing outside the classroom? Are your parents supportive of your babysitting?
For babysitting needs for just a few hours, click here to check Drop Off Activity Centers on Long Island.
By: Tara Arichabala
Photo credit: www.freedigitalphotos.net