Memorial Day is a day for everyone to honor and remember fallen heroes, both men and women, who were lost in the armed forces. To celebrate, people all over the world attend family gatherings. Memorial Day often marks the beginning of the barbeque season. Parties occur all over America. Grills are lit and many hamburgers and hot dogs are eaten as people. We’ve highlighted a delicious Memorial Day Recipe of the Month. Before the grill is lit be sure to check out the meat share at Garden of Eve.
Garden of Eve
Garden of Eve is an organic farm and market located in Riverhead that offers a meat share. No poisonous pesticides or herbicides are used. The meat share will have a rotating selection of grassfed meats. Natural meat such as beef, lamb and chicken will be available seasonally. Meat will be from animals that have been fed no antibiotics, hormones, or animal by-products. The once-a-month meat share will include approximately 3 cuts per month (which will change significantly month to month), one premium item such as a steak or roast or chops, one lower-value item such as chopped meat, one value-added item when possible, one poultry cut, or another piece of beef. The Meat share is $180 for the full season of 6 pick-ups, which works out to $30 per pickup. A CSA is a subscription. Payments are paid in full before the distributions begin in early June, and in return Garden of Eve provides fresh products.
Where: 4558 Sound Ave, Riverhead, NY 11901
Contact info: 631-722-8777
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 red onion, minced
- 1 3/4 pounds ground beef
- 1/4 pound ground pork sausage
- 1 1/2 cups crumbled feta
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 1 large heirloom tomato, sliced
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 8 leaves green leaf lettuce leaves
- 8 Kaiser rolls, split
- In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, 1 clove minced garlic, basil, and dill. Cover and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat and cook 1 clove minced garlic and onion for 4 to 6 minutes, or until translucent. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat and lightly oil grate.
- While the grill is heating, gently mix together the cooked garlic and onion, ground beef, pork sausage, feta cheese, red wine, egg, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Do not over work the meat mixture. Divide into 8 equal parts and form into patties.
- Grill patties on preheated grill for 5 to 10 minutes per side, until well done. Toast the split buns on the grill for 1 to 2 minutes. Assemble the burgers by spreading 1 1/2 tablespoon of the cheese and herb spread to both the top and bottom of each roll. Place patties on the bottom half of the rolls and stack a slice of tomato, sliced red onion, and a leaf of lettuce on each burger. Add the roll tops and serve.
Amount Per Serving Calories: 566 | Total Fat: 36.3g | Cholesterol: 151mg