Car crashes represent the #1 killer of teens in America, according to the CDC. Parents recoil at this scary statistic, but they cannot realistically keep their teens locked in their houses 24 hours a day to keep them safe. A local Nassau County mom took matters in her own hands and founded the Teenage Taxi Club to provide safe, cost effective, and convenient transportation.
The Teenage Taxi Club provides a win-win scenario for parents and their kids by providing transportation for teens. Teens, whether licensed or not, can maintain their social lives without having their parents drive them around. For parents, they no longer need to feel like chauffeurs nor worry about their inexperienced teen driving on the road.
How It Works
Sign Up - Parents in Nassau County sign their teens up to be members, thereby giving themselves the ability to schedule via phone or online a ride for their teen.
* By phone – Call 1-888-39 TEEN TAXI or 1-888-398-3368. A dispatcher records the commute information and sends a confirmation email to the parent.
* On-line - Parents simply go to www.teenagetaxiclub.com, log in using their secure log-in and password code, fill out the reservation form, and submit. A dispatcher receives the reservation and calls the parent to confirm. After the commute confirmation has been made the dispatcher sends a confirmation e-mail to the parent.
Photo IDs - Each teen member is issued a photo identification card which they will display prior to each taxi ride.
Teenage Taxi Club Drive Arrives – A driver will arrive at the pick up location at the requested time to drive the member teen to the desired destination. All drivers are background checked for driving record and crimes. Drivers are subjected to random drug and alcohol testing, take and pass annual defensive driving courses and receive additional driving training courses.
What it Costs
- Annual fee per family – $140.00
- $2.00 per mile per trip (compared to $2.50 plus tips for conventional taxis)
- Same rates apply, even if there are two or three members riding
- Guest passes available for non-members, including friends of the teen (some restrictions apply)
The Teenage Taxi Club can provide peace of mind for parents at an affordable price. To find out more information, please visit http://www.teenagetaxiclub.com/.
By Maria Adcock