Long Island is home to many popular farms and cheese shops. Unlike fruits and vegetables, cheese is always in season. Pick up some fresh cheese from your local cheese store to use in recipes the family is sure to love. We’ve included one of our favorite quick and easy cheese recipes below.
The Village Cheese Shop is a popular store located in the North Fork – the area of Long Island known for its farms and wineries. Many families frequent this shop to taste its locally-made and imported cheeses. In addition to cheese, the shop also offers an extensive list of wines from all over the world. Customers can sample cheeses and pair them with these wonderful wines. Patrons can likewise pick up a variety of specialty items such as olive oils, vinegars, pate, cured meats, baguettes, and sandwiches which they can eat in the store’s atrium-like cafe or bring home.
The Village Cheese Shop was founded by Rosemary who had picked up skills while working at her father-in-law’s cheese shop in Southampton. She fine-tuned her knowledge by traveling around the world and meeting with cheese makers. Her passion to explore artisanal production of specialty products has led her to the current offerings at her store.
When in the North Fork area, drop by The Village Cheese Shop to experience a delicious treat and bring home cheese for your family recipes!
The Village Cheese Shop
Where: 105 Love Lane, Mattituck, NY 11952
Hours: Monday-Thursday 10:00 am-5:30 pm, Friday-Saturday 10:00 am-6:30 pm, Sunday 10:00 am-4:00 pm
Contact info: (631) 298-8556
Prep Time: 15 Min
Cook Time: 15 Min
Ready In: 30 Min
Yield 5 dozen
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease a cookie sheet.
- In a large bowl cream butter and cheese. Stir in flour and salt; mix well. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/2 inch in thickness. Cut into 2 inch strips and sprinkle with ground red pepper. Place strips on prepared cookie sheet(s) 1 1/2 inches apart.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes, or until crisp.
By Tara Arichabala